top of page

1898-99 Southern League (Division Two London)

Before the start of the season the football committee persuaded the owner Arnold Hills that the club should consider their players to be professionals and pay them accordingly. They then entered two leagues – the Southern League Division Two and the Thames and Medway Combination. The Ironworks competed in the Southern League (Division Two London) which was formed on the basis of the previous season Division Two. A total of 12 teams contest the division, including eight sides from previous season and four new teams.

Kicking off the season in the Southern League, Thames won 3–0 at Shepherds Bush with new goalkeeper Tommy Moore in fine form. Sadly this success did not extend to the Thames and Medway Combination, as the first five games ended in defeat.

During October the FA Cup began with the Royal Engineers being beaten 2–0 at home. The next round saw Thames travelling to Brighton United where they drew 0–0. In the replay at the Memorial Grounds it was Brighton who came out on top, winning 4–1.

In November there was a fine 4–1 victory at St Albans with centre-forward David Lloyd scoring a hat-trick. Lloyd followed it up with two more as Watford were beaten 2–1 at home. A 3–0 victory at Chesham on Christmas Eve was followed by a game at Maidenhead on New Year’s Eve. Goalkeeper Tommy Moore missed the train and Charlie Dove showed his versatility by taking his place and not conceding a goal in the 4–0 win. Lloyd was on target again with two goals as Wycombe were beaten 4–1; Thames were now unbeaten in eight league games. The game at Wolverton in January was played in a hurricane and with the wind in their favour the home team took a three-goal lead. In the second half, however, it was Thames who had the benefit of the conditions, which enabled them to fight back with three goals to draw 3–3. A week later the luckless Chesham were beaten 8–1 in an excellent performance before 2,000 at the Memorial Grounds. In February new boy Henderson scored all four goals in the 4–0 win against Uxbridge and continued with both goals at Southall in a 2–0 victory. A 1–0 win at Fulham in April saw Thames go into the final match of the season on an undefeated run of 17 games. Maidenhead were the visitors and were crushed 10–0, with Leonard scoring four and Lloyd getting a hat-trick.

Thames were worthy winners of the league by a margin of nine points. However to determine who were to win the overall title, there needed to be a playoff with Cowes, who were the winners of the South West Section of Division Two. The game was played at East Ferry Road, the home of Millwall, where Thames beat the Isle of Wight club 3–1. To win promotion, however, Thames had to play a Test Match against Sheppey United from the First Division. The match played at Chatham ended 1–1 and before a replay could take place the Southern League committee decided to expand the First Division and accepted both clubs.


1 September 1898

"Remarkable progress has marked the progress of this club (Thames Ironworks). The committee will have difficulty selecting from three good goalkeepers. Moore (ex-Millwall), Rafter (ex-3rd Grenadier Guards) Heath (ex-West Ham Garfield)

Tranter and Neil will be assisted at full back by A.E. Marjeram from Swanscombe.

The 'halves' include S.P. Chisholm (from Inverness Thistle), D. Lloyd (3rd Grenadier Guards), Rod McEachrane (Inverness), L. McEwan (Renfrew), C. Dove and Chas Barker.

The forwards will be chosen from: F. Brett (Swanscombe), R. Cobb (Montrose & Millwall), G. Gresham, J. Reid (Reading), H. Hird (Stockton), S. Hay (Renfrew), A.E. Boston (Luton Star), L. Foss (Old St Stephens) and W. Atkinson (Chatham).

With so much talent at their disposal the committee should at all times place a good team in the field with very little difficulty".



3 - 0 (Atkinson 2, Adams)

10 September 1898

Moore, Dunn, King, Dove, McManus, McEachrane, Corbett, McKay, Joyce, Carnelly, Bradshaw

This was Thames Ironworks first ever match in this competition and they were victorious by 3-0. Despite the wide margin Ironworks owed much to their defenders.

Shepherd's Bush:

Heapy E., Powell E., Williams T., Swords J., Mayer J., Julian J., Mann H., Chadwick J., McDonald R., Hook E., Lanham C.


Memorial Grounds

3 - 1 (Hay 2, Dove)

24 September 1898

Moore, Tranter, Lloyd, Chisholm, Hitch, McEachrane, Hird, Hay, Atkinson, Gresham, Dove

These old rivals have transferred their loves from London League to the Southern League. This was a keen encounter at the Memorial Grounds. The visitors were late arriving and the kick off was put back to 4:15pm (from 3:30).
Tranter the Ironworks 'skipper' won the toss. It took 40 minutes play before a goal was scored and Hay got it. Hay made it 2-0 in the first half before Lloyd headed a Knapman shot passed Moore to reduce the arrears early in the second half. Dove restored the two-goal difference shortly afterwards.

Pennington, Sugg, Lewis, Charlton, Edny, Smith, Knapman, Richardson, Booth, Owen, Dailley.


Memorial Grounds

2 - 0 (Gresham, McEachrane)

1 October 1897

Furnell, Chalkley, Tranter, Dove, Dandridge, Chisholm, Older, Hatton, Reid, Gresham, Edwards

The Engineers from Chatham were drawn at home for this tie but elected to play the match at the Memorial Grounds in order to coincide with an athletics meeting that was taking place there the same afternoon.
There was a large and enthusiastic crowd, the Royal Engineers were first out and had their photgraph taken. In a closley contested game, McEachrane scored in the first half and Gresham in the second  disposing of the visitors whom they defeated by 2-0.
The Training Battallion had one exciting moment when Hargett dribbled the whole length of the field and almost beat Moore. Lloyd and Tranter were sound at the back but Cobb missed one simple opportunity.

Royal Engineers Training Battalion:
Hatfield, Blobbes, Tinn, Paterson, Terries, Edwards, May, Hargett, Sammons, Dodswell, Kinneer.

Thames Ironworks


Colne Farm

1 - 2 (Gresham)

8 October 1898

Moore, Lloyd, Dove, Chisholm, Hitch, McEachrane, Hird, Hay, Adams, Gresham, Cobb

The kick-off was delayed by one hour due to Thames late arrival at Colne Farm. Hickman gave Uxbridge the lead after early visitors pressure. Ironworks equalised with a doubtful goal (offside). An injury to Coleclough reduced Uxbridge to 10 men. After 55 minutes Walker scored winner for Uxbridge.

Husted, Oldham, Skinner, Davis, Jacobs, Marshall, Woodbridge, Coleclough, Hickman, Knight, Walker

BRIGHTON UNITED : FA Cup 2nd Qualifier

Surrey County Ground

0 - 0

15 October 1898

Moore, Dove, Tranter, Chisholm, Hitch, McEachrane, Lloyd, Hird, Adams, Gresham, Cobb

At the time of this match Brighton were a Southern League Division One side and were 10th out of 14 in the league. The tie was played at the Sussex County Ground and their was an attendance of 3,000. Brighton opened strongly but the visitors improved as the game progressed. Outstanding in the visitors defence was Moore, Dove and Tranter.

Brighton United:

Bullimer, Carter, Caldwell, Low, Farrell, Longair, Davidson, McLeod, McArthur, Willocks, Mallock

BRIGHTON UNITED : FA Cup 2nd Qualifier (Replay)

Memorial Grounds

1 - 4 (Hird)

19 October 1898

Moore, Dove, Tranter, Chisholm, Hitch, McEachrane, Lloyd, Hird, Adams, Gresham, Cobb

The Iron men secured a creditable draw of 0-0 at Brighton's ground, and this match was awaited with some interest. The ground was ina terrible state, and Brighton, much the heavier team, practically ran over the lighter men opposed to them. Arthur scored a fine goal for Brighton in the first few minutes. Shortly before half-time Dove missed a chance of equalising from a penalty. From the rush out McLeod got away, and putting in a good shot, the ball went through off Dove. In the second half Hird scored for the Ironworks, but Bright were nearly always attacking. Willcocks obtained two more goals, and Brighton won easily by 4 to 1.


Brighton United:

Bullimer, Caldwell, Hendry, Low, Farrell, Longair, Willocks, Mallock, McArthur, McLeod, Davidson


Loakes Park

1 - 4 (Reid J.)

29 October 1898

Moore, Tranter, Dove, Chisholm, Hitch, McEachrane, Hird, Reid J., Hay, Gresham, Buller

Ironworks did not arrive until half-an-hour after the appointed kick-off time. Keen won the toss and took advantage of the wind and rain. The visitors did not relish the posibility of defeat and started infusing shady tactics into their play. Wycombe responded and a rough match ensued.

The Ironworks were not at full strength but even from the first whistle the result was not in doubt. The game wasn't many minutes old before Aldridge scored with a shot that went passed Moore like greased lightening. Aldridge next beat Moore to a loose ball and turned it towards the open goal. Both Dove and Tranter dashed back to retrieve. Dove got there first but his clearance struck the oncoming Tranter and number two was scored. Odd attacks by the visitors were repelled by an enthusiastic home side who clearly had their tails up.
Wanderers third goal resulted from a fierce shot from Aldridge. Moore caught then dropped the ball behind the line. Moore tried to hide his error but he was observed by both referee and linesman. Up to this point Wheeler in the Wycombe goal had worn a jacket to keep himself warm but as the Ironworks forwards began to make things hotter for him he discarded it. At half-time the score was still 3-0 to Wycombe Wanderers.
At the start of the second half White had hard luck with a hard shot then Hird sent in a stinger at the other end which had a similar fate. The visiting linesman had given some very peculiar decisions on occasions and the referee had had to reverse them. White scored the home sides fourth goal when he rushed passed several 'red White and Blues' to put the ball in the net. With the last kick of the match Reid scored after Wheeler had dropped a shot from Gresham.

Wycombe Wanderers:

Wheeler E., Keen A., Turner H., Keen F., Collier R., Stevens G., White R., Jennings G, .Buchanan C., Buchanan W., Aldridge J.


Memorial Grounds

1 - 0 (Wenham)

5 November 1898

Moore, Tranter, Margeram, Dove, McEwan, McEachrane, Reynolds, Reid J, Wenham, Gresham, Cobb

The only goal of the game was scored by debut player Wenham who met a cross from Reynolds.

Shepherd's Bush:

Heapy E., Powell E., Williams T., Julian J., Mayer J., Everest, Mann H., Evans, McDavid, Palmer, Murray


Clarence Park

4 - 1 (Lloyd 3, Reid J.)

12 November 1898

Moore, Tranter, Margeram, Neil, McEwan, Chisholm, Hird, Reid J, Lloyd, Gresham, McEachrane

There was a dense fog on the ground when the teams lined up for the start 15 minutes late, the home side had the advantage of kicking down the slope. White conceded a corner in the opening minute another soon followed but both were cleated. A couple of 'dirty fouls' were noticed by the referee and these brought relief to the Albanians.
The Ironworks defenders never allowed the St Albans forwards to become dangerous. the visitors defence was very strong. Chisholm tried a long shot which Wagstaff cleverly saved. Thames soon regained possession and a goal was scored in the 3rd minute, the ball luckily rebounding in off a visiting forward into the Saints goal. The forward may have been offside.
There followed a disgraceful series of fouls on the part of the visitors. The referee was constantly blowing his whistle and would not have exceeded his duty had he sent McEwan off - for every time he was beaten he tripped his man up.
Watkins was not so fortunate - he fouled once and conceded a penalty. Wagstaff saved splendidly. Thames second goal came from a throw-in after the ball had rebounded off the corner flag post. The linesman oddly gave a throw to Irons and the ball was put into the Saints goal. Whilst the home side were still wondering how the linesman came by his decision Thames got a third goal. The half-time break came with the visitors 3 goals ahead.
The fog had partially lifted when play resumed. The second period was quieter. Moore dealt soundly with the odd corner but Wagstaff was much busier and saved several certain goals. Thames went four up when they got one following a corner. Allen got Saints only score and the game was played out in semi-darkness.


Shepherd's Bush:

Heapy E., Powell E., Williams T., Julian J., Mayer J., Everest, Mann H., Evans, McDavid, Palmer, Murray



0 - 0

26 November 1898

Moore, Tranter, Margeram, Chisholm, McEwan, McEachrane, Hird, Reid J, Hay, Gresham, Reynolds




Baker, Sharp, Cother J., Wood, Robins, Cother E., Beach, Slaughter, Hare, McNee, Hill


Memorial Grounds

2 - 1 (Gresham, Reynolds)

3 December 1898

Moore, Tranter, Margeram, Dove, McEwan, Chisholm, Hird, Reynolds, Hay, Gresham, McEachrane

'Irons' first game at the Memorial Grounds for nearly a month, and they were greeted by a very small attendance. Tranter almost 'put through' but Moore brought off a magnificent save. Hay 1-0 with strong wind in favour. Penalty for 2-0 before Half-time. Fulham improved when supported by the wind and Freeman reduced arrears.

PLEASE NOTE: Report differs from goalscorers listed, needs further investigation



Maille, Simpson, Maille T., Aylott, Ballantyne, Bowden, Pask, Freeman, Dawson, Craney, Knight


Memorial Grounds

2 - 1  (Lloyd 2)

17 December 1898

Moore, Tranter, Margeram, Chisholm, McEwan, Hay, Reynolds, Hird, Lloyd, Gresham, McEachrane

Watford were unbeaten before this game. McNee after 5 minutes put them ahead. Ardley at centre-half was a stand-in for the injured Robins. He was far too slow and not very cleaver. Ironworks played on this weakness and eventually Lloyd put in two strong shots the second of which he equalised. Lloyd then hit the bar and from a late corner scored the winner to secure the points.



Baker, Sharp, Cother J., Beach, Ardley, Wood, Varley, Slaughter, Hare, McNee, Hill



3 - 0 (Hird 2, Hounsell)

24 December 1898

Furnell, Neil, Tranter, Gillies, Taylor, Chisholm, Hird, Gresham, Hounsell, Reid, Edwards



Wallington, Neal, Jackal, Spratley, Hading, Atkin, Giddings, Hayes, McDonald R., Hayes, Mayo


York Road

4 - 0 (Hird, McEwan [pen], Reid J., Reynolds)

31 December 1898

Dove, Margeram, Neil, McEwan, Hird, McEachrane, Reynolds, Hounsell, Lloyd, Reid J., Gresham

Due to an error at Southern League headquarters, two referees arrived to officiate. Both had the same instructions but one should have been in charge of Fulham v. Watford. Mr. Worthing took charge of this one and Mr. Walker sat it out.

The pitch was very slippery due to heavy morning rain. The home side were without three of their stalwarts and would have lost by a hatful if goalkeeper Vaughan had not been in such splendid form. The 'Irons' were without their regular goalie, Moore, but this didn't matter as Dove only had two or three shots to deal with in this one-sided affair, the locals being not nearly as cleaver or strong as the Ironworks.
During the first half Hird and Reynolds scored to give Thames a 2-0 half-time lead. Reid added another soon after the restart and McEwan got a fourth after Tucker was judged to have infringed. 


Vaughan W., Edwards R., Tucker W., Adaway T., Lucas H., Cox H., Lake E., Galroy W., Walton W., Collyer A., Walton A


Memorial Grounds

4 - 1 (Lloyd 2, McEwan, Keen [og])

14 January 1899

Moore, Tranter, Dunn, Hird, McEwan, McEachrane, Reynolds, Reid J., Lloyd, Gresham, Leonard

Tommy Dunn (Wolverhampton Wanderers) and Patrick Leonard (Manchester City) were both given a trial. The visitors were handicapped by not having a goalie. He had missed his train and did not arrive for some time.
South Bucks Standard described the Canning Town pitch as a muddy marsh and held the conditions responsible when Keen slipped, while trying to clear a Leonard shot, and put through his own goal.
Wycombe's make-shift goalie (Turner) twice came off his line to tackle oncoming forwards with his feet. Twice he came off best. Janes went into goal and was immediately tested by a stinging shot from Gresham. He was then forced to save from Lloyd. Irons' were sending in shots from all angles. Turner gave away a corner and Hird's kick was punched away by Janes but only to McEwan who sent back an unstoppable shot. Thus Ironworks were two ahead in only 8 minutes. Gradually the visitors got accustomed to the 'marshy' conditions and were beginning to hold their own with the locals. McEachrane fouled F. Keen in midfield. From the free kick a nicely placed one from Keen, Reynolds got possession and ran practically the whole length of the field. He then centred for Lloyd who scored easily to make it 3-0. Reynolds, Gresham and Lloyd all had attempts at the other end foiled, but the last named did score in a further attack and the Londoners went in at half-time 4-0 to the good.
The second half was fairly even and was marked by just two incidents - both penalties. Twenty minutes into the second half, Tranter gave away a penalty and Keen redeemed his earlier lapse by converting to beat Moore with a rising shot. A penalty also awarded to Thames but Lloyd, given the opportunity of completing his hat-trick, shot wide. This brought about some divisive laughter.

Wycombe Wanderers:

Turner H., Janes R., Keen A., Keen F., Collier R., Stevens G., White R., Jennings G., Buchanan C., Buchanan W., Aldridge J.


Wolverton Park

4 - 3 (Leonard 2, Chisholm Dove)

21 January 1899

Moore, Tranter, Dunn, Dove, Chisholm, McEachrane, Reynolds, Hird, Lloyd, Gresham, Leonard

A hurricane blew at kick-off time and Thames faced it. The home-side took full advantage of the wind assistance and were one up through Frost in 10 minutes. Three minutes later and Poole made it 2-0. Neale scored yet again before the interval when Wloverton led 3-0. Leonard scored his first goals for the Ironworks in reducing the defecit to 2-3, the first from a corner. Chisholm levelled the scores with a wind assisted speculative long shot. Moore then made a dramatic penalty save following a rare Wolverton attack. Thames got the winner in the closing minutes of a nail-biting finish.

Wolverton L&NWR:

Waller, Ufton, Worker, Jones, Wesley, Edwards, Frost, Poole, Neale, Radford, Edwards W.


28 January 1899

The committee have arranged buses to run between Canning Town Station and Memorial Grounds on match days.


Memorial Grounds

8 - 1 (Gresham 2, Reynolds 2, Dove, Lloyd, McEachrane, Reid J.)

28 January 1899

Moore, Dunn, Tranter, Dove, McEachrane, Hird, Leonard, Gresham, Lloyd, Reid J., Reynolds

The 'Amber and Blacks' were weakened by the absence of McDonald. Chesham had the best of the opening exchanges but Thames soon settled down and by excellent teamwork were 3 up by the interval. The scorers being Lloyd, McEachrane and Reid. In the second half the homesters chalked up 5 more whilst the visitors isolated goal came from Vickery. His goal was scored in the last few minutes and earned un-grudging cheers from the Canning Town crowd.
Moore was halfway up the field for most of the second half and when Chesham's outside-left Gray broke away nobody made a move to stop him. The Chesham forwards had the wind taken out of their sails early in the game by the Thames halves and the centre-forward was the weakest spot in a poor line. Leonard and Reynolds were the best of the home forwards - their crosses often going begging - Gresham being the chief offender.



Wallington, Jockel, Neal, Mayo, Harding, Spratley, Bryan, Giddings, Vickery, Holliman, Gray


Shotters Field

2 - 0 (Leonard, Reynolds)

11 February 1899

Moore, Tranter, Dunn, Dove, Chisholm, McEachrane, Reynolds, Reid J., Reid G., Henderson, Leonard

Despite the bad weather a large crowd gathered and it included a few Ironworks travellers. The home side were weakened by the absence of Lugg, Rough, Booth, Johnson and Burton. The visitors were at full strength. A feature of the play was the kicking of both pairs of backs and the magnificent keeping of Moore. Bees kicked off, up the hill and for the first few minutes play was scratchy due to the filthy state of the pitch. Chisholm nearly scored for the 'Irons' then Dailly forced a corner from which Johnson almost did likewise.
Once they had settled Irons came away with a rush and Gillett had a hard time of it mainly through Reid and Leonard. It was noticeable that Gillett did not clear but just contented himself with stopping the ball and it was left to Swann and Turner to get it away. In the 22nd minute Reynolds gave Thames the lead when he scored following a corner. This was the half-time score and most of the play had been in the Brentford half of the field.
The close of the first half had seen a little feeling creep int the game and in the second period this was intensified. Tranter did not help the tempo of the game by kicking out at every opportunity. But he was annoyed by some of the remarks that came from the crowd. Almost from the restart the proffessionals broke away and Reynolds sent in a shot. The ball rebounded off Gillett who made no attempt to save as he dropped to his knees and Leonard simply walked it in. As a result of this goal Bees pulled thenselves together and made determined attempts at Thames' goal. But they rarely got passed Dove and Chisholm and when they did Tranter either kicked out or Moore kicked clear. Towards the end Moore gave a marvellous exhibition of goalkeeping.


Gillett, Swann, Turner H., Westhead, Walker, Smith, Dailly, Richardson, Matlocks, Knapman, Evans


Memorial Grounds

4 - 0 (Henderson 4)

18 February 1899

Moore, Tranter, Dunn, Hird, Dove, McEachrane, Reynolds, Reid J., Reid G., Henderson, Leonard




Husted, Gaylard, Skinner H., Davis C., Brown, Messenger, Woodbridge A., Woodbridge E., Hickman, Knight, Walker


Memorial Grounds

3 - 1 (Hounsell 2, Neil) 

2 April 1898

Moore, Tranter, Dunn, Chisholm, Dove, McEachrane, Reynolds, Reid J., Henderson, Reid G., Leonard

Ironworks were leading the table and the east London travellers were anticipating an easy victory. This however proved not to be the case with Southall making a remarkably good show. The River team, as one newspaper described the ‘Ironworks, side, was made up of good sturdy fellows who gave a good exhibition of passing tactics and were extremely useful with their heads. 

Southall, winning the toss, took what little advantage there was from a slight wind as the visitors kicked off. In the first 5 minutes the Ironworks baffled the home team with their scientific play and before the 4,000 attendance had properly settled down the ball was in the Southall net - put there by Henderson, the goal was obtained from neat work by the whole of the visiting front rank, culminating in a rush which enabled Henderson to put on the finishing touch. 

Henderson was an attacking-midfield who had signed for Thames Ironworks from Warmley FC, after the Southern League (First Division) side were dissolved a month earlier, also joining the Irons’ from the Gloucester club were George Reid and Peter McManus.

This was a bad start but the home side retaliated. Dandridge got clear of the Ironworks backs and had only Thomas Moore to beat but he shot widely over the bar. Pitt had a go but his shot through accurate was weak. Thames have found a good goalkeeper in Moore. The visitors attacked strongly and during a prolonged spell Orme began to lose his temper. He was cautioned by the referee. Woods hurt himself in a collision with a visiting player, and this raised the tempers of both home players and supporters and the referee had to speak to both. The crowd were addressed by the referee on two or three occasions so this could not be termed the most peaceful game of the season. Half-time: 0-1. 

For the first few minutes of the second half Southall had the better of the exchanges, their halves kicking hard and the forwards employing the long-passing and quick following-up tactics. The trick failed, however, thanks mainly to Moore, who made a number of smart clearances from Pitt, Dandridge, Hudson and Hobson, with one particular shot from Danridge well saved despite being pressured by Hudson. The play was very vigorous, and fouls were frequent. The game was within 10 minutes of call, with both sides having had an equal number of corners up to this time, without any result, when a further one was conceded by Orme, Irons’ centre-forward James Reid headed into the net.

An injury to Harrison delayed the game for a few minutes. Southall were a beaten team, but kept up the pressure for the remainder of the contest without scoring. A few minutes from time Reynolds the Ironworks outside-right, unfortunately twisted his knee and had to retire. James Reid hit an upright in the dying moments but Ormerod managed to get that one away. Henderson scored what he thought was a third goal, but it did not count, as the ball passed through while the whistle was blowing.



Ormerod, Street, Orme, Woods, Stirling, Harrison, Dandridge, Pitt, Hudson, Cornwall, Hobson


Memorial Grounds

1 - 0 (Reid J.)

11 March 1899

Moore, Tranter, Dunn, Chisholm, McManus, McEachrane, Hird, Reid J., Henderson, Reid G., Leonard

This was the first game for McManus following his suspension earned whilst a Warmley player. Thames faced a slight breeze on a pitch that was in excellent condition but the ball appeared to be very light and played some queer pranks. At half-time the score sheet was still blank. Within a minute of the restart J. Reid got the winner with a fast cross shot in an otherwise poor match.

St Albans:

Line-up Unknown


Memorial Grounds

2 - 1 (Reid J. 2) 

18 March 1899

Moore, Tranter, Dunn, Chisholm, McManus, McEachrane, Hird, Reid J., Henderson, Reid G., Leonard (Dove)

Thames Ironworks' Leonard injured his elbow in the 20th minute and left the field. Wolverton generiously allowed Dove to take his place in the second half.


Wolverton L&NWR:

Line-up Unknown


Memorial Grounds

2 - 0 (Gilmore, Reid G.) 

25 March 1899

Moore, Tranter, Dunn, Dove, McManus, McEachrane, Hird, Bird, Henderson, Reid G., Gilmore

The visitors lost the toss and were forced to face the wind. Gilmore got the homesters first goal. Play was very ragged due to the boisterous wind. During the second half play was more even but in the last minute Thames scored again through G. Reid.



Ormerod, Woods, Orme, Harrison, Dandridge, Kilsby, Hudson, Pitt, Stirling, Cornwall, Hobson


Craven Cottage

1 - 0 (Lloyd) 

8 April 1899

Moore, Tranter, Dunn, Chisholm, McManus, McEachrane, Hird, Lloyd, Henderson, Gresham, Leonard

Irons followers could journey to this match by steamboat which left the Thames Ironworks Dry Dock at 12:30 and called at London Bridge at 1:30pm. The fare was 1/- return.

Lloyd scored for Thames Ironworks in the 40th minute of the game at Fulham.


Maile, Tuthill, Mackie, Stapley, Taylor, Bowden, Pask, Hounsell, Hopkinson, Sherran, Turrill


Memorial Grounds

10 - 0 (Leonard 4, Lloyd 3, Reid J. 2, Henderson) 

15 April 1899

Moore, Tranter, Dunn, Chisholm, McManus, McEachrane, Hird, Lloyd, Henderson, Reid J., Leonard

Leonard 5 mins; Reid 2-0 and 3-0
Half-time: 3-0

Lloyd 55 mins 4-0; Henderson 5-0; Leonard 6-0 and 7-0; Lloyd 8-0 and 9-0, Maidenhead then missed a penalty. Leonard then made it 10-0. The Ironworkers biggest win thus far in their 4 years experience. A three goal half-time lead was turned into a 10 goal rout. Moore in the Irons' goal had so little to do that he often left his goal unprotected and played up with the forwards.



Vaughan W., Norman, Edwards, Keen F., Lucas H., Morfee, Collier, Russell, Walton W., Pike 

COWES : Southern League Championship Decider

The Athletics Ground, Millwall

3 - 1 (Henderson, Leonard, Lloyd) 

22 April 1899

Moore, Tranter, Dunn, Chisholm, Dove, McEachrane, Reynolds, Lloyd, Henderson, Reid J., Leonard

There was rumblings from the Cowes camp that Millwall could hardly be described as a nuetral venue. However they went ahead with the game but were no match for the Londoners. Lloyd put the Irons' ahead in the 15th minute. Moore then let an innocent looking centre drop in for the equaliser. J. Reid then twisted his knee and was forced to retire. He returned later but was of little use. The situation was beginning to look a bit grim but smiles returned when Henderson restored the advantage in the 50th minute and Leonard made it certain with a third 15 minutes from time.


Bennett, Tate, Docherty, Thompson, Leatherbarrow, Jolloth, Brock, Finlayson, Skea, Spellacy, Moore


Maidstone Road Ground

1 - 1 (Lloyd) 

29 April 1899

Moore, Tranter, Dunn, Chisholm, McManus, McEachrane, Reynolds, Lloyd, Henderson, Gresham, Leonard


Sheppey United:

Cotton, Penney, Osborne, McFarlane, Harrison, Jenner, Baker F., Collins, Peters, Baker A., Lissenden


13 May 1899

Mr Arnold F. Hills presented the Thames Ironworks F.C. With £1,000 at the close of the 1898-99 season.

Acting on behalf of the Canning Town club Bunyan the New Brompton goalkeeper went to the Midlands in search of bargain players. Following advice from a contact in the area Bunyan approached a prominent player.
Unfortunately the player was not available and Bunyan was caught red handed attempting to seduce another clubs player. The F.A. decided that he was acting for the Thames Ironworks F.C. and was suspended for two years from playing or taking up a managerial post in football.
Mr Francis Payne the Thames Ironworks secretary did not attend the hearing and was suspended until he did appear, before the Committee and expunges his contempt of court.

Payne had, in fact, retired from his position as Thames Ironworks F.C. secretary at the close of the 1898-99 season. The club was suspended for the first two weeks of the 1899-1900 season and fined £25. It was thought a harsh sentence but rules had to be enforced.

bottom of page